Connecting linguists in Zurich
Our central aim is to strengthen linguistics in Zurich. In detail:
- We promote scientific exchange and joint research projects.
- We pool technical and knowledge resources.
- We strive to build common training programmes.
- We inform the general public about linguistics.
Some examples of activities
Since its foundation 2010, ZüKL has initiated and coordinated various activities. Some examples are given below.
- Since the beginning of 2013, ZüKL has been working on the creation of a resource pool. The pool will integrate digital resources like corpora, databases and software, which are now hosted by individual institutes, and will make them accessible to the public.
- 2012 ZüKL financed a number of pilot projects that were to become the basis for full-fledged applications for third-party funding.
- 2012 ZüKL organised a one-week seminar on corpus linguistics in cooperation with the PhD Programme Linguistics.
- The lecture series "Sprache(n) verstehen" ("Understanding language(s)") was organised with the help of ZüKL and presented a broad range of linguistics topics to the interested public.
Structure of ZüKL
On the top level ZüKL is constituted by several institutes. Below that three groups of persons are relevant:
- The members form the base of ZüKL. They assemble one to two times a year to discuss central issues in a plenary. Regular members must be employed by UZH. Other linguists affiliated with UZH can become associate members. They have the same rights as regular members but cannot be elected into the executive board.
- The executive board discusses decisions that are to be made by the plenary assembly and prepares the annual budget and other reports. Its members are free to make minor decisions by themselves.
- The coordination office is responsible for ZüKL's daily routine. It assists the members and particularly the executive board in all organisational tasks and in managing finances and human resources, and it administers the ZüKL website and server.
Our statutes contain more detailed information on ZüKL's structure and organisation.